PHALGA PRESS RELEASE*
_17th January 2023_
SIR ALLWELL IHUNDA PRESENTS N8.253BN BUDGET ESTIMATE TO THE PHALGA LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL.
_Says his administration has taken practical steps in providing some critical people-oriented projects, programs and infrastructures that are beneficial to the people
Mayor Of Port Harcourt City, Sir Allwell Ihunda JP has presented the 2023 appropriation bill of N8. 253BN to the legislative council of the Local Government.
Presenting the bill, he told the lawmakers that the bill was made up of N4.917BN for recurrent expenditure,N3. 253BN for capital expenditure and N82.532MN as reserved fund of 1% revenue.
He said against the backdrop of the prevailing economic circumstances and in continuation of the achievements recorded in 2022,he decided to tag this year’s budget as, budget of consolidation.
He said the capital expenditure is targeted at providing more people-oriented projects to boost the standard of living of the people of Port Harcourt.
According to him, last year was quite an eventful year, which recorded unprecedented achievements in the local government due to the non-interference of the Local Government Council funds by the Governor of Rivers State.
The Mayor used the medium to thank the Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency, Chief Nyesom Ezenwo Wike CON, GSSRS, Life Bencher for ensuring that the allocation of Local Government funds are fully and promptly released, which has enabled the council to execute projects and pay salaries of workers.
He informed the lawmakers that in 2022, his administration was able to site at least one needs-assessment project in fifteen wards of the LGA, it is hoped that the remaining wards that are yet to benefit, shall be accommodated in his 2023 development plan.
Some of the numerous programms and projects initiated and completed by his administration in the year 2022 he listed includes;
1. Construction and fully furnished Port Harcourt Healthcare Authority building in the council secretariat.
2. Construction of 34 lockup shops known as Port Harcourt digital tools mall in ward 11.
3. Remodelling of lockup shops christened, Port Harcourt information technology center in ward 10.
4. Construction and fully furnished ozuoboko community town hall in ward 20.
5. Construction of 12,000 litres capacity braithwait in ward 5.
6. Provision of 500/33KVA Electricity Transformers to Rumuoparaeli, Rumuwoji and Nkpolu Oroworukwo Communities Wards 4,12 & 10.
7. Renovation and restoration of the Abali Motor park status.
8. Construction of retaining wall to control erosion at victory avenue in orochiri community of ward 8.
9. Desilting of drainages in several flood ravaging areas of Port Harcourt.
10. Completion of the 2nd batch of the skills acquisition programme with 391 beneficiaries, trained in more technical skills.
11. Empowerment of widows and indigent women.
12. Completion of gully erosion control of over 40ft deep, 100metres long, 10metres wide and a pedestrian bridge in Akwuzu street, Diobu ward 13.
13. Awarded scholarships (all expenses paid)worth tens of millions of naira to 4 teenagers at the prestigious Charkins maritime academy.
14. Provision of solar panel lights at Chief Chinwo street, Anume street, Wachukwu street and Okwu crescent in ward 3.
15. Provision of solar panel lights at Ede and Ngwo street in ward 2.
16. Provision of solar lights at Akwukwa street in ward 15.
17. Provision of vehicles for the Deputy Mayor and Councillors
18. Construction of 6 block public convenience in ward 7.
Finally, Sir Allwell Ihunda thanked the legislators for their support and urged them to expedite action on the approval of the budget proposal.
Responding after the presentation, Leader of the legislative council, Hon. Hanachor Noble Orlu commended the Mayor for his giant strides in governance since he assumed office, and promised to work with his colleagues to ensure the proposed budget estimate becomes a working document.
The Deputy Leader of the Legislative Council Hon. Tamunoiminabo Christian later moved a motion for the Mayor to exit the hallowed chambers, the motion was seconded by Hon. Chinedu Wobo Ikunga, councillor representing PHALGA Ward 11.
Chief Press Secretary,
Port Harcourt City Local Government.